Friday 11 April 2014

Farsund Southern Norway

Adam from Visit Southern Norway visited Farsund to meet the locals....

I travelled to Farsund in Southern Norway and was blown away by two things.

The first was Lyngdalsfjord that had a powerful mist covering the waters tip. Then came a boat cutting through the mist in a breathtaking moment. That was just as I said. A 'moment'. Two minutes after I took that picture, that moment was gone...........


A few hours later, I ventured towards Loshavn.
This is a little harbour that is as ancient as the hills that surround it.

Loshavn basically means small or to the other end of the spectrum lice! Yes Lice, but it also is said to mean small - ie a small harbour. History tells stories about the sailors that were here and its location but at the end of the day it is a lovey little waterside dock with stunning views.

I decided to drive there to see it for myself.

I stumbled upon two workers that had finished their days work. I said hello and crossed the little wooden bridge to the little island adjacent. There I took a couple of pictures of a defused anti boat mine on the rocks with a house in the background - on some sort of island.



I could not help but think of the people that live here permanently. What a lovely view.

Anyway, I ventured over to the two workers.

Me: Hi. I guess that big orange ball is an anti ship mine over there from World War 2. I guess it is also NOT DANGEROUS? Guys: We assume so. It is not ours!


After a brief introduction I got to know these two. A nice couple of lads who are "locals". The guy on the left was born and bred in the US (well, up until he was 4) and the other was from the UK

Me: Well we have quite a mix here. Brit, an American and me - an Aussie!
Guy on right: I have been here 10 years.  After I met my Norwegian wife we decided to come to Farsund where she is from. I do not miss home. I really love it here. What an amazing place to bring up a family. I will not be going back to England. I love to go fishing for sea trout. I do it all year.

A little while later, we walked past the old buildings that are Loshavn.

Norwegian (Guy on left): Did you know that Loshavn was paid for by the Brits?
Brit: No way. That cannot be true.
Me: It is true. The king of Norway (or whatever country owned Norway at that time) asked the then "marines" to pirate every British ship that crossed the waters here stealing everything they had.
Brit: I never knew that. I am moving back to the UK!!! I did not know that this place was built on STOLEN MONEY!"
Me: Easy tiger. If that is true, then every Aussie is a pirate.
Brit: Well, yes they are!

Adam: Of course he is joking. History is history. To quote him: He is never going to leave this little gem that is Farsund!

You can find more info by visiting the Farsund Website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment